Re: [WriteLog] Callsign change

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Callsign change
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:22:34 -0900
Dan,

I think WriteLog is very forgiving as to what call sign is actually used when running the program. Essentially, it doesn't care what call is being sent. Many guys seldom upgrade their version of WL and continue to use it without a problem long after it has been supplanted by more recent upgrades even if they have changed calls since it was first purchased. However, if you want to download an update under a new call then that is a different ball game.

I used WriteLog's DXpedition module when I ran as W1AW/KL7 without any problems. When exporting a .adi file from WL it only contains the details of each QSO recorded in the log. This does not include the operator's call that was actually being sent. So in my WL version that is registered to AL9A the adi output file of the W1AW/KL7 log doesn't contain either call. There are three key issues to understand though.

First, what is the log going to contain? Is this log going to be used by all the various guest ops or is each guest op going to have his own log? If it is to be a single log, as most contest logs are so they will dupe correctly, just give it a name representative of the contest being run and perhaps the year in the file name. If each guest op will be running his own log, then each one should be named differently, probably containing the guest ops call in the file name. If the guest op doesn't have an AK call and will be signing W7XYZ/KL7 or KL7/W7XYZ it doesn't matter to WL. After his operating stint is over he can export the adi file from his log and take it home with him to import into his own logger if he wants. How that logger treats this data is another issue.

Second, the really important issue is the [Multipliers] section of the ini file. The variable CallPrefix= is used to determine the DXCC country where the operation is occurring. Mine says CallPrefix=AL9A which WL uses to determine I'm operating from AK. However, if I want to take a rig and computer with WL on it to HI on my next vacation and operate a contest from there I should change this variable to CallPrefix=KH6. If you're going to Australia change it to CallPrefix=VK. Regardless of who is on the mike or the key this is needed to correctly score your points in WL during the contest. This is also important if you intend to upload to LOTW as you will need to obtain a new TQSL certificate for the DX operation.

Third, is the issue of the Cabrillo output for contest log submission. If your guest ops create their own individual Cabrillo files the header will contain the values setup in your ini file. You can either change the ini file settings in the [Report] section for CALL, name, address, etc., or edit the Cabrillo files after they are created, but before being submitted. This is probably the easier option as it avoids multiple changes to the ini file.

Finally, if you are going to have guest ops during a SSB contest and are using wav audio files for a DVK, check out the WL Help manual sections about Wave File Locate and Entry Change Operators. These sections tell how each individual operator can record his own audio wav files pre-contest and save them in a specific directory location known by WL. Then during the contest as each operator takes over he can Change Operators which tells WL to use his audio files for the DVK and also record his individual operator call in the OPERATOR column of the log. This is great for having the audio wav file actually match the voice of the operator and it makes it easy to identify which operator worked any given call in the log. This is a great feature for mult-ops or Field Day use.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: DanW