Re: [WriteLog] ESM and WriteLog

To: "'Gary AL9A'" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] ESM and WriteLog
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 21:42:06 -0700
My experience pretty much confirms your write-up.

I've used ESM since it was introduced in TR-Log many years ago.  It is
always enabled when I'm operating.  I use it in WriteLog, N1MM and Win-Test.
Win-Test allows the user to customize the details of how ESM works via the
LUA scripting language and I have done that, having created my own personal
version of how ESM works in that logger.

I do not disable ESM when doing S&P.  The main reason for this is that I am
often running on one receiver and tuning the band for S&P QSOs on the
sub-receiver on the same band at the same time.  (Plus, as you note, it is
too distracting and time-consuming to enable/disable ESM continually during
the contest.)  For S&P, I simply map two messages to the two Square Bracket
keys just above the Enter key.  Open Square Bracket is my call sign, once.
Close Square Bracket is my S&P exchange which also logs the QSO.  (Rarely,
do I regret logging the S&P QSO, so this saves doing the Shift-Enter every
time.)

The three keys directly below are my remapped Run messages: Semi-Colon is my
TU, NOW message for executing a QSO out of the call sign queue, Apostrophe
is the Insert or Run Exchange message and Enter is the CQ or TU/CQ message
(depending on QSO state, i.e., ESM).

I operate 99% of the contest simply using these 5 keys plus the trackballs
to capture calls or exchanges.  In RTTY this allows me to use one hand on
each keyboard/trackball for each radio.  One PC per radio, networked.

Over the years, this configuration has worked well for me, especially when
I'm juggling 2 or more radios, each with two receivers on different
frequencies in the same band.  Run messages and S&P messages are located in
clear positions, in close proximity, on all keyboards.

OTOH, some people's brains may prefer a different use model, so there is no
one "right answer" for everyone.

Ed W0YK