Re: [WriteLog] USB to Serial 232

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] USB to Serial 232
From: halken <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:55:39 -0500
WRT to USB converters, FTDI is the trouble-free chip set and Jim's correct, there are counterfeits around. The other common chip set is PROLOGIC and those can be very problematic. The good news is, the FTDI chip set makers also make a complete USB to serial dongle - which guarantees you are getting the best chip-set and best supporting electronics and best drivers - as good as it gets. I have a lot of them in my station, they have been trouble free. Windows 7 and on has the drivers in the OS, although downloading the latest is probably a good idea.

The next good news is while FTDI is a UK company, Mouser stocks the dongles - so that's where I get mine. They come in various wire lengths. I find the 1 meter long ones to be FB.
73
Hal
N4GG