[WriteLog] WriteLog 12 docking

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog 12 docking
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 01:26:19 +0000
> Ok, I’ve got windows scattered all over the desktop, but I’ll eventually get
> used to it.
"scattered all over the desktop" is not necessarily the only way to
configure WriteLog. For a simple example, look at the screen shot on the
home page http://writelog.com/.
ALL the windows are docked in that screen shot. My own preference is
that all the windows docked looks a lot cleaner to me. Once docked in
the positions you like, there is a further optimization: turn OFF
View/Docked-captions and you get some screen space back. Having turned
the captions off, though, you have to use the resize sashes on the
docked windows to shrink them down to save the caption space.

This docking behavior is far more flexible than what was available in
version 11. That version only allowed one set of rows and columns. The
V12 docking allows any currently docked rectangle to itself be divided
again into rows and columns. For reasons I have not yet understood, many
WriteLog users have not figured out how to get any docking working at
all. All you have to do start dragging a window, hold down the left
mouse, and drag around placing the pointer on the various drop target
positions it shows--they change as you drag the window around. You don't
need to let go to know what its going to do--it highlights the target
rectangle that the docked window would occupy if you let go.

Wayne