Re: [WriteLog] CTY-2702 Country Files - 14 February 2017

To: "'Jim Reisert AD1C'" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CTY-2702 Country Files - 14 February 2017
From: "Alan Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 12:16:34 -0800
Yes, the old GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT. Cannot be helped when the FCC database
does not reflect the actual station location.

It seems KK9A holds several call signs all registered to his North Carolina
address including WP2AA as a club call.
He placed a blurb on his WP2AA qrz.com page to the effect that all QSO's made
with that call were from the U.S.V.I. but the FCC database reflects his N.C.
address so of course that would indicate a CONUS U.S. station on any database.

This differs from a REAL KP2 station such as KP2XX who has an actual U.S.V.I.
mailing address in the FCC database.

I was under the impression that you could only hold a KH6, KL7, KH2, KH3, KP2,
etc call IF you had a mailing address to reflect that location. (That is why so
many Filipinos and Japanese have PO Box mailing address in Guam or Saipan so
they can hold KH2 or KH0 calls.) I thought maybe that only applies if the call
is a 2 by 1 but my log shows many actual KP2 calls are 2 by 2 unlike KG4 calls
when actual GITMO calls are 2 by 2 and KG4 2 by 3 calls are CONUS calls.

I worked WP2AA on four bands. I noticed that when I typed the call into the
logger the first time it did not indicate a NEW MULT as it should had. After I
logged it, I noticed it was logged as United States. Therefore, I edited it
from K to KP2 each time I logged him.

Too bad KK9A did not notify Jim AD1C before the contest that he would be using
WP2AA in the contest FROM USVI. I would think all serious contesters know Jim
is the KING of the contest CTY databases. I suspect many folks missed this MULT
due to the mix-up.

K7ACZ