Re: [WriteLog] Please don't mess around in ProgramData/WriteLog and/or P

To: <support@writelog.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Please don't mess around in ProgramData/WriteLog and/or Program Files (x86)/WriteLog
From: "Alan Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 13:03:17 -0800
I appreciate any help you might be able to give.

I did read what is posted at:
https://writelog.com/downloads/writelog-versions#WlWebUpdate

But in my mind it seems to be conflicting info.

Para 1 states: The menu entry File/Web-Update-Country-Files downloads and
installs from country-files.com.
OK to me this seems to say that by just clicking on the
File/Web-Update-Country-Files button the current CTY files will be
installed.
IS THIS CORRECT?

But then in Para 2 it states: The menu entry File/Web-Update-Data-Files
downloads INI files. It no longer downloads the country files updated by
(1), nor does it download SCP .dta files.

This is the part I do not understand. Does this over write the CTY files
from step 1? Or do the CTY files from step 1 remain in place?

Para 3 states:  The Convert CTY to WriteLog start menu entry remains
installed with WriteLog. But I do not see this so I do not use it. Is it
present in ver 12.11D? I will use 12.11D until just before the CQWWDX. I see
no reason to pay to renew early before the biggest contest of the year. I do
buy the latest version every year.

Getting away from the technical explanations is it safe to assume that
before each contest all one needs to do is to click on the
Menu entry File/Web-Update-Country-Files then click on the
File/Web-Update-Data-Files download and all is all OK for the contest?

What about the MASTER.DTA files? The program shows they are stored in the C:
PROGRAM DATA/WRITELOG. I go to the SCP website and download the latest
MASTER.DTA FILE TO C: PROGRAM DATA/WRITELOG by right clicking and using save
target as: and directing the file to C: PROGRAM DATA/WRITELOG. Is that how
is should be done?

Plse advise. I like things as simple as possible.

TU & 73, Alan K7ACZ