Re: [WriteLog] message weirdness in the WW RTTY

To: Writelog User Group <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] message weirdness in the WW RTTY
From: K6UFO Mark Aaker <k6ufo@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 00:45:09 +0000 (UTC)
> If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them ;)

In RTTY with many programs and loggers, the "PTT drop" is often due to
overlapping or conflicting (or just too many) PTT signals. This often
cause "PTT drop" when a second or third or different PTT signal arrives
at the controller or radio.

If you have the logging program sending PTT on the CAT serial port, and
the logging program sending PTT when starting messages, and the RTTY
program sending PTT when it starts diddling, and the Microham router
sending PTT from its own circuits, and the radio automatically keying up
when it sees FSK signal, and VOX enabled on the radio, and a TX inhibit
or keying line back from the amp, and several other sources I can't
remember at the moment...

For RTTY, ideally you would only have the FSK generator also generate PTT,
like MMTTY creating both, or the Microham box creating both. Otherwise
more than one PTT can lead to the PTT drop problem.  Eliminate all PTTs
until you have to step on the footswitch to get into transmit :)  Then
activate only the PTT that is in-sync with your FSK generator, in your
case the Microham keyer.

GL,

Mark Aaker K6UFO
k6ufo@arrl.net