Re: [WriteLog] automation support to track focus. WAS: WriteLog 12.23 no

To: <support@writelog.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] automation support to track focus. WAS: WriteLog 12.23 no
From: "Tom Georgens" <tomgeorgens15@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 08:39:20 -0800
As the user of this function I figured that I would give an example of its
use case.

I have a home brew station controller that automates nearly every aspect of
the station ranging from filters to antennas to headphones.  It interfaces
to Writelog through the K3 radio interface.  My controller software
interface looks to Writelog as a K3 radio.  I then map keyboard shortcuts
the macros that can be sent to this false K3.  That way I can control the
station entirely from the Writelog keyboard and eliminate nearly all
switches.

I also have another program that wraps around writelog that provides for
more sophisticated keyboard mapping to enable me to experiment and
customize.  Some of those functions need information from within Writelog.
Before Wayne implemented the Unique plus on 1, I would need the call as
entered and would send it to an outboard program to do this.  I wanted to
change the length of the CW messages based on the rate meter.  I switch in
matching stubs on one of my antennas based on the frequency.  The OLE
automation interface inside of Writelog was a way to get at all of that
information.  Ii proved to be very simple to use in my programs and very
reliable.

Three days before the most recent CQWW SSB, I had a lightning strike his my
station and plenty of gear got damaged.  One thing was my station controller
where every IC was destroyed.  Inside this box were two W5XD multikeyer
chips, which are now obsolete and hard to find replacements.  It seemed a
good time to move away from these parts as an integral part of the station
control.  The Winkeyer was a good substitute for CW and PTT.  However, I
still needed the band information and A/B radio selection.  I did not have
LPT ports or any other physical serial ports to use, I did not want rig
specific band interfaces so I wanted a software interface instead.  The Band
information was available from polling the frequency using the OLE function,
or OTRSP.  OTRSP had an inconsistency with the PTT bits that Wayne also
lists as fixed in the latest release.  The last issue was A/B switching.
This was not discernable from the current OLE data that was made available.
Wayne now added the ability to query the transmit focus.

He added more than the ability to poll the data, but the ability to be
notified when it changes.  This is very cool, but a bit beyond my
programming skill to integrate.

Hope that helps.  The automation is not for everybody, but it is very simple
to use with Visual Basic or AutoHotKey if you are so inclined.

Many thanks to Wayne for adding this functionality.

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A