Re: [WriteLog] Recent File List

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Recent File List
From: "support@writelog.com" <support@writelog.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 17:14:34 -0800
> When I launch Writelog the contents of the Recently Used browser do indeed
> reflect my latest contest .wl's
>
> However, the contents of writelog.ini [Recent File List]contain a totally
> different list of older contest .wl's.
>
> So where are the browser contents stored now?
>
> 73
>
> Jim KS1J
The recently used file list is in the registry.

You can run Regedit and see them under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\W5XD\writelog_v12\Recent File List. This is
"not recommended" because regedit can and will touch lots of things that
will break things. In other words, its a sharp tool that is useful in
some hands and dangerous in others, and the one in possession of the
hands often does not know which he is.

It turns out WriteLog version 12 stores absolutely nothing in ini files.
If you fish around using regedit, you'll see the things that WriteLog's
documentation describes in INI files in the registry instead. Those are
the entries WriteLog is actually using. The INI save, edit, and restore
on its startup screen are there for two reasons:
a) We have lots of long-term users that know how to edit ini files. And
(b) they are "safe" to edit in the sense that its pretty much impossible
to edit writelog.ini and break some other program that is not WriteLog.
The same cannot be said for regedit.