Re: [WriteLog] Writlog remote and Multi/Multi

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writlog remote and Multi/Multi
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 15:12:57 -0800
> I was also considering using VPN's from each user to the radio site.
> That simplifies some setup and control for other things, and maybe for
> the writelog.
While I see no reason that WriteLog's traditional local networking would
fail to connect and operate over a VPN, I am not sure whether its
behavior will be acceptable under the much longer latencies a VPN would
have compared to a local connection.

I see your point, especially for "other things" as there are things like
antenna switches and power switches that WriteLog doesn't cover. For
example, while my own operation involves interacting with the WriteLog
on the control site 99% of the time, having to touch a setting available
only at the remote requires switching to a desktop window served from
the remote. For that, I use tightvnc.com over an SSL tunnel established
by putty, for what that is worth.

Wayne