FT-1000MP CW Frequency Display is offset -- check menu item 3-0

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: FT-1000MP CW Frequency Display is offset -- check menu item 3-0
From: n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM (Robert A. Wilson)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 19:00:51 PDT
Based on all of the glowing comments from the likes of QST, ON4UN,
KM9P, N6RO and W6XR, I decided to buy a new FT-1000MP from HRO.  (Both
HRO and Yaesu were generous supporters of the World Radiosport Team
Championship, so as a way of saying thanks I plan to give them most of
my business).

The more I use the FT-1000MP, the more I like it!

Important note for those using the FT-1000MP on CW:

I recommend that FT-1000MP owners change menu item 3-0 (Frequency
Display) from the factory default ("Offset") to the other choice
("Carrier").  This forces the VFO to display the true carrier
frequency rather than "carrier frequency + CW offset," making the
FT-1000MP's frequency display exactly match what other rigs such as
the TS-930 display.

More important, if one leaves 3-0 set to OFFSET, I believe it is
possible to unknowingly transmit out of band.  Here's how:  say CW
offset is set to 700 Hz (I personally prefer 450 Hz).  Also assume
that the CW BFO is switched from USB to LSB by pressing the CW button
twice (I did this so that the radio tunes in the same direction as my
TS-930).  Now, when the VFO says 7.000.5 MHz, the carrier frequency is
really on 6.999.8 MHz!  Ooops.  Setting 3-0 to CARRIER will avoid this
problem.

Other benefits:

1. Packet spots used and posted will be more consistent with the rest of
   the world.

2. Frequency display doesn't change when you switch between USB/LSB/CW.

Now, I'm new to the radio so I haven't read the whole manual yet.  Please
educate me if I'm misunderstanding something here.

73,
Bob, N6TV