[Yaesu] 990 'feedback' w/12 V supply

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 990 'feedback' w/12 V supply
From: palooka@pyrotechnics.com (Joe Pontek, K8JP)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 20:16:24 -0500 (EST)
Gentlemen,
regarding the following:

At 01:18 PM 11/18/96 -0500, Brian Smithson wrote:
>I've always been running my 990 off the AC line until a few weeks ago when I
>hooked it up to my 40A power supply to see if that would help with some
>computer interference I was experiencing. It didn't, but I left it on the PS
>for grins. All has been well until this weekend.
>
>Sunday, I was casually operating sweepstakes and I noticed that I could hear
>my own voice distored through the headphones when I transmitted. At first I
>suspected my 15m dipole, but it happened on all bands on all my antennas.

And,

>I'm not sure I have the same problem, but I also hear my distorted voice in
>the speaker and also in headphones but not as loud. I don't have an ac supply.
>It is the DC model. Mine is about a month old and it WAS a problem on
>sweepstakes.  Ive mostly operated it on cw contest. This was the first
>serious
>ssb it's done but I did noticed it before in some casual qso's. I also
>disconnected all the external connections with the exception of the
>DVS-2. At one point it was real loud and also was getting distorted audio
>reports.  My problem could be different. I thought it was rf getting
>into the aduio.  I use several ladder line fed antenns through tuners.
>Don't have that problem with the TS-830's
>Boy I love that radio.  Still hve one.
>
>Bill Denton WA5DWX.

This is the one problem I have found with the FT-990.  It does seem to be
vunerable to RF feedback thru external plug-in's, particularly, the external
speaker.  I would, as I know others would, be curious about other experiences
and, hopefully, some solutions.

73, K8Joe"Palooka"
K8JP, K8JP/VA2, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, ex-K8HKM, ex-KN8HKM
Secretary, NIDXA
[\] NAUI Diver
palooka@pyrotechnics.com
snail mail: