[Yaesu] FT1000MP remote project

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000MP remote project
From: km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P / K4AAA)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:09:25 -0500 (EST)
Just thought I would let you all in on a little project I'm about to
undertake.  I bought an FL7000 this morning (thanks AA4GA for the lead).
I'm going to run my FT1000MP with FL7000 at my shack in the mountains of
north Georgia.  I have a TopTen device box that plugs directly in to the
back of the FT1000MP.  It draws power from the radio also BTW.  The TopTen
box controls a set of relays that switch to the correct band.  Auto antenna
selection is already done!

I have a friend that has offered to let me buy some of his programming time
to do the software side of the project.  The idea is to control the MP over
a Voice/Data modem connection.  I'll get the audio over the telephone lines.
Since the MP is max only 4800 baud (Is that right?), the bandwidth of the
voice/data modem should not be a big issue.

Most of the front panel can be controlled through software I believe.

Does anyone know if the RX antenna can be selected through software?  How
about split capability?  Seems like it only makes sense to be able to
program the thing to do split via software, but I dont think you can for
some reason.  I know you can program the alt-VFO frequency however.  I'm
also pretty sure you can read the S-meter.  That's cool.

Anyway... I'll let you all know how the project progresses.  I'm pretty
excited to have a chance to get back on the air with real antennas again.
Wouldn't it be cool to dial in to my shack from Oregon and work some
Europeans on 80M at 3:00pm local time?

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, KM9P & K4AAA