[Yaesu] FT1000D mods and choppy CW

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000D mods and choppy CW
From: N3SL@aol.com (N3SL@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:16:02 -0500
Well, the "choppy CW" message brought 8 "it's a known problem" replies (or
some variation thereof), and a single "no problem at all" reply.  Perhaps
it's only a problem in earlier rigs (see below).

enough to send me a 7 page compendium of "Engineering Change Notices" on the
1000.  They are listed by lot number, starting with lot 4.  I will quote the
first section instructions, and you can figure out how to interpret the lot
number.  My serial number does not follow what is printed, so I'm still not
sure.  Then I'll list only the title of the mod for each lot number.  If
you're interested in one (or more) of them, I'll either send via email or we
can discuss other arrangements.  Many of the mods have an associated diagram
showing circuit board traces, etc, and would be very difficult to describe
without a "picture."

"The following modifications have been adopted in production lot 4 (all sets
with serial numbers above XX0040000).  Earlier sets should be modified in the
field."

Elimination of Marker Spurious (RX-2 Unit)
Sub Rx MCF Selectivity (RX-2 Unit)
Sub Rx PLL Sub-Loop Unlock when Hot
Semi Break-in CW Keyer Improvement   (this one is for choppy CW, but
non-QSK?!)
Cross Spurious Around 14.2 MHz
Sub Rx Noise Blanker Performance
Malfunction of Microprocessor Reset

Following adopted in lot 5 (XX0050000):
Improvement of Sub Rx Low Band S/N
Suppression of Spurious from the AC Line
Improving Sub Rx S/N (1)   (#2 listed later under lot 8)
VOX Malfunction Caused by Mode Switching

Following adopted in lot 6:
Preventing VOX Malfunction when Adjusting VOX Gain
Preventing RX ANT Relay Failure (1)

Following adopted in lot 7:
Antenna Tuner Performance Improvement

Following adopted in lot 8:
Improving Sub Rx S/N (2)
VOX Delay Adjustment
Notch Adjustment Improvement
Power Meter Adjustment Improvement
Improvement of SSB Modulation & Receiver Audio Characteristics
Elimination of VOX Switching Noise on Transmissions
Howling on SSB Transmission (?!)
IF Gain Adjustment
Elimination of Filter Ripple
Elimination of Sub Rx Birdies

Following adopted in lot 9:
7.13 MHz Sub Rx Birdie Suppression
Preventing Main Receiver Self-Oscillation

Following adopted in lot 10:
Preventing RX ANT Relay Failure (2)   - Unfortunately, this one is totally
smudged
                                                         on the copy, and is
illegible.

Sorry to take up so much "paper" here, but enough people expressed interest
that I thought I should post this.

73,
Steve, N3SL

--