[Yaesu] JPS ANC-4 and FT1000MP: a great combination

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] JPS ANC-4 and FT1000MP: a great combination
From: n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM (Robert A. Wilson ((415) 335-2265))
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 97 19:47:03 PST
Discovered a great way to use the JPS ANC-4 Noise Canceller with the
FT-1000MP.  You won't see this little jem explained in either manual,
so print and save (use a fixed-pitch font such as Courier).  May work
with Icom radios as well:

          Yaesu FT-1000MP                         JPS ANC-4
+---------------------------------+     +----------------------------+
|    Ant   +13.8V  ---RX ANT---   |     | Main                 Noise |
|     A      DC    IN       OUT   |     | Ant     Radio   12V   Ant  |
+-----|-------|-----|--------|----+     +--|--------|------|-----|---+
      |       |     |        +-------------+        |      |     |
   To main    |     |                               |      |  To noise
   xmit ant   |     +-------------------------------+      |    ant
              |                                            |

With this arrangement, all you have to do is press the "RX Ant" button
on the FT-1000MP to activate noise reduction through the ANC-4.  You
can use the ANC-4 at full QSK speeds, with no switching delays,
because the FT-1000MP takes care of all T/R switching.

No RF is ever sent through the ANC-4, except what is picked up by the
Noise Ant line during transmit.  The relays stay quiet.

If you want to listen to the main antenna, with no noise reduction,
just press the RX Ant button again, and you're back to listening on
the transmit antenna.  The circuit above effectively makes the "RX Ant"
button on the FT-1000MP into an "ANC-4 In/Out" switch.  Great for
line noise situations (such as mine).

Important tip:  your noise antenna has to hear the same noise as your
main antenna, within 10-20 dB, or the ANC-4 can't do its job.  I use
a low dipole on 20m -- works great.

73,
Bob, N6TV

--