[Yaesu] YAESU & ASTRON POWER SUPPLIES << your input, please >>

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] YAESU & ASTRON POWER SUPPLIES << your input, please >>
From: bjacob@iofc.com (bjacob@iofc.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 09:50:19 +0000
Has anyone out there experienced any "noise" problems on receive when
using any of the ASTRON power supplies with Yaesu HF rigs.

I have used both the switching and linear supplies from ASTRON with
my FT-900/CAT.  I found both supplies to be very "noisy".  Transient
and switching noise made receiving very difficult on both 160 meters
and 80 meters.  One symptom was a "hash"  type noise every 38 Khz or
so.  This noise is NOT present when powering the 900/CAT from a 12
volt automotive storage battery.  Please note that there were no
computers or television sets ON at the time of the noise.

Would like to know if anyone else out there has experienced the same
problem.  Any fix or work-around for this problem?  ASTRON has been
no help so far.  In fact, they have failed to respond at all to my
problem.  I sent two faxes to their tech department, and after nearly
2 months, I have heard nothing from them.

I sure miss the convenience of the little 5 pound switching-type
supply, but the noise problem is unacceptable.

73s,

Jacob Worthington
AA4FM
Conway, Arkansas, USA