[Yaesu] 920 Brochure/info

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 920 Brochure/info
From: jcullum@micron.com (James Cullum)
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 09:27:01 -0600 (MDT)
I received the FT-920 brochure from Yaesu on Friday.  Here
is a quick synopsis of the features (from memory...as I forgot
to bring the brochure in to work).  If anyone needs more info,
let me know and I will bring it in.  BTW, I ordered the
brochure off of the yaesu web page (even know they said it
wasn't available... www.yaesu.com).

DSP:
        -optimized for S/N
        -works in transmit and receive
        -DSP VOX for fast response
        -DSP compression
        -DSP monitor
        -DSP noise reduction
        -DSP multiple notch
        -Bandwidth control
        --2 front panel knobs for low cut and high cut
        --visual indication of bandwidth on display

TUNER:
        -built in
        -works in receive to reduce out of band interference
        -works on 6 meters

CW:
        -CW spot and tuning bar like 1000mp
        -improved QSK
        -pitch variable from front panel
        -2 key jacks.  The rear jack can be setup to
         use the ring contact as a PTT connection (nice for TR!)

DVP/CW:
        -Digital voice recorder built in (44 sec. I think)
        -CW memory keyer built in with serial number capability.

FILTERS:
        -Radio is double conversion
        -Comes with 2.4kHz SSB
        -500Hz CW and 6kHz AM filters are optional

VFO:
        -2 knobs.  1 for each VFO.
        -It is not dual receive (bummer!)
        -You can set it up to flip automatically between the
         2 VFO's to monitor 2 calling frequencies (Yaesu
         calls this "Dual-Watch").
        -Dual band stacking memories
        -5 Quick memory banks
        -70(?) some regular memories (maybe more) in which you can
         have the sub VFO display an alpha-numeric message (ie. WWV).

ANT:
        -2 antenna ports for use on any band
        -receive in/out RCA connectors like 1000mp for beverage
        -max power can be set up for each antenna port
        --This allows you to use one antenna jack for a transverter.

OTHER:
        -6 meters 100watts with receive up to 48MHz
        -improved amplifier keying circuits
        -tune function for tuning amp
        -DC only
        -FM optional.  Kind of weird???
        -I'm sure I have forgot a few things.
        -FSK and AFSK port.

Well, that is about it.  Get the brochure to get the full
story.  Sorry if I have forgotten to add something or if
I remembered some of the info wrong.

With the built in DVP, I was wondering if a contest logging
program could control the DVP (internal to the 920) or
for that matter the interal CW memory keyer???  This would
be ideal for Field Day or a DX-pedition where you didn't
have a decktop PC to run your internal DVP.  If you could
also control the internal memory keyer that would eliminate
the cable from the computer to the radio (freeing up a port).

I was initially disapointed with lack of xtal filter options.
I guess with it being dbl. conversion there is not much of
a choice.  Also, I wonder why they don't have the Collin's filters
available for this rig?  Anyhow, after reading the brochure I
am pretty sold on the rig.  It will certainly be an upgrade
from my FT-890.  Now it is time for someone to go and buy
one (when they become available) and give us a first hand report.

Jim,  K7MK.
jcullum@micron.com