[Yaesu] FT767

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT767
From: msa@naples.net (msa)
Date: Thu, 8 May 97 05:24:41 -0400
Wayne,

I don't know if I responded or not...I have seen the same question in the
past month or so on several reflectors. However, let me add my two cents:

I like my 767GX very muc, but your mileage will vary with how you use the
radio! I am not 'Joe Ham' in the sense thatsome guys have owned just
about every rig out thee and can compare them from memory. This always
amazes me. Listen to the Trader's Net here in Florida on 40 and I suppose
everywhere, or some of the old-timers ragchewing on 80 in the morning,
and pretty soon you will hear them talk about it.

So with this as background, I like the 767GX becasue it has the module
capability, because the physical location of VFO switches is very
thoughtful, bcause I like the way memories are handles, because the
receiver seems 'hot', at least to me...for a lot of similar subtle
reasons.

What I do not like: I wish filtering were available in FSK; there is no
provision for internal filters of any sort.

My primary activity: RTTY and contesting.

I use a 930S/AT as a backup rig (which is loaded with filters and is For
Sale!!! only becasue I want an Icom 706) and in some ways the 930 is
superior, especially if you are into CW, because of the filters. However
the 767 has a keyer which works for me, while the Kenwood does not.

So from the point of view of the 'average ham', and for the above
reasons, the 767 is an excellent choice. I also believe that although
some of these rigs are getting 'old', the fact that they accept modules
to put them on 2, 430/440, and 6 will make them very popular for a long
time to come. The modules are a little hard to come by.

As far as price: modules are $200-$225 each. If you are interested in
satellite work, get the 430 and the 2 meter; mine is equipped this way
and is super for the birds. I paid $900 for mine a couple of years ago
(with no modules) and although the price has dropped, it has not dropped
by much.

Hope this helps.

de Michael N4XSE

my normal email address is: msa@naples.net