[Yaesu] Yaesu Serials

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu Serials
From: drasmussen@eosintl.com (Donald Rasmussen)
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 08:34:52 -0700
>Howdy,
>   Nearly a year ago I acquired an FT-757GX and FC-757AT (auto antenna
>tuner).  The previous owner had used the rig for 7-10 years (he wasn't
>sure how long).  I have reason to believe that I am probably this rig's
>third owner.  Yes, it works fine as far as I can tell.
>   Now, onto my question.  When I acquired it I wanted to discover its
>age.  I wrote to Yaesu and never received a response.  On the off chance
>that there is some "magic formula" in the serial numbers that someone in
>this group can decipher, I thought I'd ask.  The serial number of the rig
>itself is 40 070602.  The number on the back of the tuner is more
>difficult to read.  It might be 4C 040047, but I am unsure of the second
>and third characters.
>   Any ideas?  Thanks for any info you can provide.
>                                                       73,
>                                                       Mary-Frances

Hello Mary-Francis,

I'm going to assume that <<4C 040047>> is the serial number because it best
fits my formula. Your FT757 would have been manufactured on January of 1984.
The first digit is the Year, and the letter following is the month plus two.
In this example C is month 3, less 2 gives you the month of 1 (January).

I would say that your friend was pushing the envelope of the "fudge factor"
which is automatically built in to the offical swapmeet standard of age
estimation. No need to be <too> precise. 8-)

73,
Don Rasmussen WB8YQJ/6