[Yaesu] FT-1000D

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000D
From: lmenzel@millcomm.com (Larry Menzel)
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 19:55:27 -0600
Brian,

Congrats on the 1000D, I think you'll like it a lot.  I sure like mine.  My
first rig after being off the air for about 4 years.

I guess my only suggestion is really only a comment.  If you're going to be
using external receive antenna such as a beverage for low band work, it
might be useful to perform a simple little mod that will bring a very
poorly located internal switch (on the bottom of the rig...both covers
off...to the back of the radio, that will allow you to use the subreceiver
or the external antenna at will.

The mod, which I'll be happy to send you by private mail, will allow you to
switch between the external receive position and the sub receiver.

I don't know why Yaesu, in its infinite wisdom makes it so hard to do this
little thing, but if you are using beverages, it's a real bother.  Second,
and again if you are using the external antenna input, be sure to use some
kind of circuit to protect the front end of the radio when transmitting
especially if your transmit antenna is close to your receive antenna.

Other than that, my only other suggestion, if you're a CW op, is to put the
600Hz filter in the subreceiver.  Otherwise, you have to make sure the sub
receiver is in the 2.5kHz position when working split...fine for SSB, but a
bit wide for CW.

Good luck, I'll be interested in seeing how you like it compared to the MP.

Larry, N0XB
Northfield, MN