[Yaesu] 1000MP Menu Settings

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 1000MP Menu Settings
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 07:41:29 -0400
I dont have many settings worth talking about...I've played with a lot of
them, but always come back pretty much to defaults.

First off, let me just say that while the DSP's out there are "neato-keen",
they dont do the job of a good set of IF filters.  So my first
recommendation is to buy ALL the filters, unless you dont do code, and
leave the DSP filters set fairly wide in the normal mode.  There just is no
substitute for good crystal or mechanical filters at this time.

There are some other things to play with, but only in certain situations.
For example, if you want to contest, but you just have a regular flat
response mike instead of a Heil or something, you could enable the TX DSP
audio curve number 4.  It's pretty punchy...good for contesting.

On the TX audio passband settings, set the low side to 200 or 300 hz and
the high should be no greater than somewhere around 3.0 khz.  One thing
I've noticed from playing with my 2 MP's and sending them back to the
factory is that they can have widelydifferent phone audio frequency
non-standard carrier offset.  With the DSP wide open, one has a natural
rolloff at about 2.9 khz, while the other is at 3.5 khz.  On the low end,
one rolls off naturally at about 200hz where as they other is flat almost
to 0hz!  By setting up the DSP to 200 and 3kc, you assure yourself that
your power is going into useful products and you wont cause undue stress on
the guy operating next to you.

I usually run Tuned on the front end.  I just wish I could run the hot
preamp on 15 and 20 sometimes!  Tuned means you'll have much greater gain
and lower noise figure on 12 and 10 meters, and less gain, but better
dynamic range BELOW 7 Mhz.   Usually those are desirable traits,  but there
can be situations where you'd want to put it back to flat.

That's about all I can think of...

73, Tyler K3MM

thomasj@fiserv.com on 07/31/97 03:30:59 PM