[Yaesu] FT1000MP Receiving Antenna

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000MP Receiving Antenna
From: kenkeeler@jazznut.com (Ken Keeler)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 21:25:40 -0700
At 04:42 PM 10/8/97 -0500, you wrote:

>When a separate RX antenna is selected by the front panel switch, it seems
>from Yaesu's "Technical Overview" document that the RX antenna remains
>connected to the receiver front end even during transmit. .... (It's
impossible
>for me to see how things are supposed to work in the condensed, illegible
>front end schematic). I'm surprised they didn't disconnect the RX antenna
>line during transmit, with appropriate grounding.

Hi John:

I'm a happy "MP" owner since June, 1996.  I was never able to resolve to my
satisfaction your questions (above).  But,  last winter I did several 160m
contest efforts with various receive antennas switched into the RX antenna
jack, including a 40m beam, 20 feet above the 160 transmit dipole, and a
crude beverage near the TX antenna.  Didn't seem to hurt the front end.

Since then I've decided to take some precaution  before firing up on 160
this season.  I bought a pre-assembled "Front End Saver", a relay box that
disconnects and grounds the RX antenna input.  It was described on p. 32,
February, 1997 CQ Mag.  You can build your own, or order a board or
complete unit in a box, as I did, from C&S Engineering, N8BYI, in Ft.
Wayne.  Chuck's email is: crlewis@gte.net.

Yaesu installed all the recent mods for me within the one year warrantee
period, for FREE, not including shipment to their service center in
southern CA.  I not only recommend the radio (for contesting and DXing),
but Yaesu's service.  73, Ken N6RO

.

Ken Keeler  Oakley,CA       Tenor Banjo & Guitar
Devil Mountain Jazz Band, Jazz Nut Records
Tel 510-625-2707/9402     FAX 510-625-9403
Email: kenkeeler@jazznut.com
Web:   <http://www.dixiejazz.com/dmjb.html>
Ham Radio:  N6RO