[Yaesu] RE: Thoughts on FT1000 vs FT1000MP??

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] RE: Thoughts on FT1000 vs FT1000MP??
From: morel@shani.net (morel)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:07:37 +-200
Bill,

I certainly agree with many of your affirmations but:
      Also note that the 200 watts compared to 100 watts is only 3db, which is
only a half a S unit on a S meter....but boy does it need a bigger hotter
running power supply. Try running the Ft1000D on 12v..........grin. The
only time that the extra hundred watts is going to be worth it is when NOT
running a linear amp, working a marginal station and using a antenna with
some gain IN the Direction of the station your working.
FT-1000D is clearly not designated for mobile or travelers operations. For the
rest
I'll clearly prefer high voltage TX final stage ( 28-50V) which is far better
and cleaner.
I'm using a modern hi-gain amplifier with 3CX800 tubes and I feel SO GOOD
running
the FT-1000D at a super -cool 30-40w for a 1.5kW output.

A current version Ft1000MP has one of the quietest phase noise receivers on
the market today. The power supply is well know for being one that is quite
and has the least effect on receiver noise and rfi issues.
Try to do a RTTY contest with an amplifier who needs 80-100W drive.

Its receiver stability is very good and drift is not noticable without
instrumentation.
Heck, it can resolve a frequency down to .625 Hertz! What good is that if
there was drift???
That's not true. Try to make an one hour conversation with a FT-1000MP owner
with no
TCXO. You'll have to move the tuning knob 6-8 times in every mode. Try to leave
a FT-1000MP
on a commercial beacon, RTTY news agency or packet HF node without TCXO for
10-15 hours.

The FT1000MP EDSP is terrific. The ability to reduce fatique from the
static and Qrm on 80-160 is just plain great! It is easy to use once you
know the controls, and anyone that has read and practiced the directions
for the menu options to use EDSP on transmit find that it can create great
audio. Tune in to 1850khz with your filters wide open and listen to the
near FM sounding SSB audio from several who use the FT1000MP there. There
are many who will pass on their tips for Transmit Audio
configuration.....and its well worth the effort! Dont let ignorance on how
to do it equate to it doesnt do it well..... grin....
The EDSP it's a very nice feature. It's OK but not more than this. On RX it's
doing the same
job like TimeWave DSP-59Y: on the digital modes where the algorithm and the
challenge
is easier, is doing well. But let's face it: in random noise modes like SSB
where the challenge
is big, it doesn't help too much. The true is that no DSP filter on the today
market is doing
great job on SSB and static & power line noise cases. I feel we'll have to wait
a lot till very
powerful DSP processors will be available for true IF or RF stages.
On TX, the FT-1000MP manual is so scarce about the DSP and carrier shifting
settings and
interactions that only few  ops have an outstanding audio: the majority don't
have enough
knowledge to play with the menuus and they are usually sound better with no TX
EDSP.

The display on the MP is great for immediate feedback as to what is setup
and what is going on with the entire rig. Its very easy on the eyes too.
The filters are not time consuming to select, and are easy to see what is
active and those settings store in the Vfo's and memory's. IF Shift, the
Bandpass and Notch filter adjustments work great!
Ask a 48 hrs contester about the main display !

Current versions do not have a problem interfacing to linear amps and nor
have a problem with setting the SSB leval. That was fixed some time ago and
is a available mod for older versions. I have found the noise blanker and
leval control to be very very effective on line noise and other repetitive
types noise. The leval adjust is good to set just to the point of
elminating the noise with out making the receiver suffer disortion from
near by strong signals.......same as any other radio for that matter.
You're a lucky man. It's clear that you didn't experience heavy power line
noise.

73 de Morel, 4X1AD