[Yaesu] FT-900 Updating Information

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-900 Updating Information
From: donald.s.tucker@exgate.tek.com (donald.s.tucker@exgate.tek.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:02:09 -0800
Some information and some questions.

I received the following information in response to a question sent via
Email to Yaesu regarding the differences 'tween my FT900AT and the now
advertised FT900C/AT.  Found them to be quick  and complete in their
response, but see by their web site that this type of Email exchange is
limited to a very few products.  Thought FT900 owners would find some of
the information I received of interest.  My FT900 SN by the way is
4J061266. I have the stock version and use it primarily mobile.

They advise that currently there are two replacement SSB filters
available for the FT-900 (replacing the stock ceramic filter). The
8-pole crystal filter is the XF-110S (price; $157.00) while the Collins
Mechanical Filter is the YF-115-01 ($189.00). They state the
installation process for either filter is identical.  Are there users
out there who can provide me information as to the performance
differences between the two filters in actual use?

They also state there is no "fundamental" difference between my
transceiver and the current
"CAT" version, that the differences are strictly in the configuration of
the later units having the Collins filter installed. All the other
circuitry is utterly identical they claim, further stating "The design
has been quite stable for a long time, and there have been no "updates"
whatsoever which would cause one to be motivated to send the transceiver
to California for "modification" of some kind."

Is there a FT900 archive site out there with additional information
which may be helpful to me?

Thanks for the help,

w7wll