[Yaesu] FT-51R Unexpected Mod

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-51R Unexpected Mod
From: ki0dz@juno.com (Mary-Frances R Bartels)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:36:37 MST
On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 15:11:09 -0500 ke4sgv@juno.com (Bill Breuer) writes:
>I found that after a mod was done to the FT-51R for expanded XMIT and
>RCVR that if you use the LOWER band (left hand side) and enter the 900
>Hz ham band freq. (example: 906.5 simplex calling freq.) you can
>transmit on that band. Anybody else seen this and measured the output?
---snip---

Hello Bill,
   A year or so ago I had an unusual mod applied to my 51R (found it on
Internet, went looking for it again six months ago and couldn't find it
anymore).  It opened the rig up extensively, but I found that most of the
additional freqs were useless (1.25 M for one) for xmit.  Also, outside
the normal 2M and 70CM bands it is largely deaf as a post.
   HOWEVER, your entry got me thinking.  I dug out my scanner and tuned
my 51R the way you described.  And, I'll be darned, the thing
transmitted.  Haven't a clue how far it went, what my SWR was, or whether
I can "hear" anything, but it DID transmit.
   Hope this answers your question.  Thanks for the info!
   ---> Happy New Year to all on the list! <---
                                                     73,
                                                     Mary-Frances

Mary-Frances R. Bartels  KI0DZ DM79lt  Denver CO  (((#)))   ^     ^
http://www.qsl.net/ki0dz  ki0dz@juno.com             |       ^ - ^
Watkins products Rep. #92389                      -------    (o o)
***Let US scan your photos and documents!***      |ooOoo|  >{  |  }<
http://www.freeyellow.com/members/beyond-infinity -------         RRR)*