[Yaesu] 1000D vs 1000MP

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 1000D vs 1000MP
From: George.Anestis@digital.com (George Anestis)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:25:46 -0500
Bob,

        The first point that needs clarification is the price
differential between the MP and the D.  The FT-1000D comes fully loaded,
all filters and options installed.  The base price of the FT-1000MP is
just that, the *base* price with very few options installed.  There are
six (6) optional filters needed for the MP, the high stability TCXO, the
keypad for the keyer, etc., etc., to be added into the equation before
you can compare apples to apples!  Do this, and you will find that there
is only a very small price differential between the two rigs.

        There are several primary differences that come to mind:

        The Sub RX in the D model works cross-band if desired, while the
MP sub-rx will only work in the same band.  Not an issue for me.

        No DSP in the D, due simply to it being an older design.  A big
consideration for me.

        As you know the D produces 200w, while the MP only 100w.  Again,
not an issue for me because I use an Alpha 89 amplifier that only
requires ~40w drive, max.  Even when the amplifier isn't on line,
there's only 3db difference between 100w and 200w...not significant to
me.

        MP has smaller light weight switching power supply instead of
older design "analog" type.  This is another plus, in my view, for the
MP.  Some don't agree.

        There are many more, but I'll leave some space for others to
chime in.

                Now...as to weather one is better than the
other...that's a religious war type of topic.    My own personal
opinion, for what it's worth:

        The MP is a product of newer technology.  It incorporates many
newer and improved features such as the DSP processing and receiver
design technique in general that has evolved over the years since the
FT-1000D was conceived.  Operating features/ergonomics have been
improved based on experience, too.  The basic hardware used in all newer
electronic gear, radios and computers alike, has developed into
smaller/faster/cheaper and this can be seen in the MP implementation.

        I looked at both rigs before buying, as you are doing.  I bought
the MP for many reasons, and I can tell you that for me it was the right
decision.  I'm completely satisfied with the MP, and in fact it has
exceeded my expectations in many ways.  It's a *fantastic* rig and you
can't go wrong with it.  If you get the MP, be prepared to spend a
couple of weeks, at least, just to get to know it and appreciate what it
has to offer!

73 - George - W3ANX