[Yaesu] FT-1000MP - S-METER ACCURACY

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP - S-METER ACCURACY
From: gareth@capecod.net (Gareth Crispell)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:07:27 -0500
Fatchett, Mike wrote:

> I am curious.  Why does anyone care what the S meter reads?  I just want
> to work people.  I could care less whether they meter says s0 or 40
> over.  I don't take S meter reports that I get very seriously unless I
> know the person.  I think Kenwood meters are way too forgiving.  The
> Yaesu 1000 meters are stingy.
>
> My point is don't we just care if we can hear the station?  The ability
> to work a station has nothing to do with what the S meter reads.
>
> Mike
> W0MU
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html
> Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-yaesu@contesting.com

Hyper accurate s meters would probably cost 1000.00 dollars or more, so
the meters we have in our rigs are really "approximate meters". That
being said, for me, the signal report on either ssb or cw is a really
fun and interesting part of the QSO. I also very much enjoy hearing
about the stations working conditions, especially the antenna part. Just
my opinion.

73 ... N1MSV

.....at the dawn of the New Age of Man,
     they will abide with us.