[Yaesu] FT-840 VFO Stability

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-840 VFO Stability
From: CLESKIE@um-f1.umd.umich.edu (CHARLES LESKIE)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:53:57 EST5EDT
    I have a ft-840, which I purchased new a year and a half ago. It
seems to be a decent rig for the money. Last summer however the rig
went down on me and I had to ship it back to Yaesu for repair For
power loss, and the cw sidetone stuck on. Yaesu said they replaced a
chip and a couple transistors and a diode. They also checked the
alignment and put everything into factory spec. Everything worked
good as new at that time. however six months later, everybody tells
me that I'm off freq. by as much as 1000hz. many people say that I
drift while others say that I'm stable, just off freq. Since Yaesu
recently aligned the rig and calibrated the VFO, I find it hard to
believe It could be off this soon. It was fine a couple months ago.
The radio is not that old to begin with (but out of warranty). The
last time I shipped the rig back, they had it for two months and I
hate to ship it back again. This is getting old.

    I was thinking maybe the master oscillator might be defective,
and maybe if I install the TCXO-4 (temp. compensating Xtal Oscillater)
maybe it might cure my problem. This would save me from being without
a rig for another two months. But if it is not the problem, its a
hundred dollarl wasted.

    Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

                                    Chuck