[Yaesu] Discontinued Rigs

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Discontinued Rigs
From: davidho@one.net (David Ho (de AF4BH))
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:47:48 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Chuck (Jack) Hawley wrote:

> I just heard second hand from a Yaesu rep that they are discontinuing
> all the HF rigs except the 1000MP and the new 847. This includes the
> 920, 900,736R, and the 1000D. Wonder it it's true, but I guess there has
> to be an end to every rig and some of these are somewhat overdue...some
> are too new though.
>
> Just wondering...kind of thought about buying a 900.
>
> --

I guess there are just too many gray areas among all rigs anymore.

My personal preference is to see the FT-847 to replace 736R and 900.
Since it's somewhat smaller in size that might suit the intended purpose
of the 900 (except for the remote head).  Of course it fits the bill of
VHF/UHF enthusiast. I heard that the FT-847 can be had for about $2000.
With price come down after the initial roll out, the FT-847 can be a good
bargin for prospected FT-900 buyers.  But the wait can be lengthy.

What I would really like to see from Yaesu is that they come out a version
of a 200W - 300W class FT-1000MP(HP), and get rid of the extreme high end
class FT-1000D.

Retiring 3 older rigs (FT-900, FT-736R, FT-1000) and streamline the
product line to FT-1000MP (HP class), FT-920, FT-847, and FT-600.  *Now*
the picture is more like what ICOM has.  In my opinion, YAESU really has
to come up with an IC-706 copycat mobile machine to cover all grounds
ASAP.  ICOM has been the leader in the HF/VHF mobile business for too
darn long.

Who knows?  Yaesu is still selling their FT-690R, FT-290R, and F-790R
after 12+ years.

Best 73!

de David Ho, AF4BH
Covington, KY  USA