[Yaesu] 1000MP and the Y2K Problem

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 1000MP and the Y2K Problem
From: serge@jbj.org (Serge Pashenkov)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:08:54 -0500 (EST)
   Right.  And a lot of so-called Y2K consultants are running around the
   country scaring the hell out of everyone and making an incredible amount of
   money in the process.  Unless you're a health care organization or insurance
   company that relies on older business reporting programs in IBM Assembler
   (BAL), COLBOL or FORTRAN programming languages, it's just not that big of an
   issue.

   My company has just senselessly paid a large consulting firm to certify
   compliance on everything that runs on electricity right down to the coffee
   makers.

   -Paul, W9AC,

I think you are forgetting some pieces which are in much more common
use that old IBM creations. For instance, the (somewhat) newer IBM
creation I'm typing this on, IBM PC, has stupid piece of software
called BIOS, and there are many of those out there that will fall
apart. Older UNIX systems all had leap years calculation
simplification in the assumption it's 20th century. Cash registers?
VCRs - some of them have two digit year in the programming?

I'm not saying the 1000MP will have a problem, I don't know, but I
would not dismiss the question just like that, although this day and
age (and the MP is what, 3 years old?) it's a safe assumption that
anything newly design is free of the problem.

I'm not Y2K consultant, I just have my share of frustration :-).

        serge, N3UXA