[Yaesu] FT990 Service

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT990 Service
From: dnorris@k7no.com (Dean Norris)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:06:49 -0700
On December 27, 1997, my FT990 decided to die.  I have had this delightful
rig for about 6 years and believe it to be the best rig I have ever used.
None the less, it wasn't working so I sent it back to the folk at Yaesu in
Cerritos.

Later, I received a postcard stating that the backlog was about 3 weeks.

In about the last week of January the rig came back.  I plugged it in and
... same problem.  A quick call to Yaesu and I was told to ship it back for
recheck.  So, back she went and I was again 990-less.

This time I got a card stating the turnaround to be about 4 weeks.  Yipes.

I called Yaesu and was told that they could find nothing wrong with the rig
but were checking it out.  (BTW, I was in the electronic repair biz years
ago and sympathize with intermittent faults)

More calls resulted in the same thing.  Needless to say I was getting
frustrated.  Another call to the techs at Yaesu and they said that they
still had not located the problem but were trying their darndest to isolate
it.

Finally, they called and said that they thought they (the 'they' here is
the techs and service QA people) had found the problem and since they had
taken so long to fix it, would I accept the installation of the TCXO (a
$150 accessory) for $30.00?  I agreed and thanked him.

I got the radio back and looked at the invoice.  Total repairs and the TCXO
came to $192 but I was billed ZERO, nada, zilch, nothing.

After about a week, it died again!  This time I called Albert at Yaesu
Service and we discussed the problem.  I took the case off and made a few
measurements with my trusty Rad Shack DVM.  I had 110 going into the power
supply (and associated circuitry...VERY confusing ckt) but no 12 volts
coming out.

Anyway, he suggested I box it up again and send it in.

Voila, the third time seems to be the charm  They ran it through the paces
and finally the PS died.  Back to me again and again NO CHARGE!  With a new
power supply, everything seems to be working fine.

WOW, what a group.  I am amazed at their QA crew and the tech staff.  My
thanks for the consideration and the free repairs.

To Chip Margelli- You da man!  Your crew is courteous, helpful and above
all, competent!  Good DXing to you all.

Yaesu is the best!

Dean Norris, K7NO
                  C. Dean Norris, K7NO
               e-mail to dnorris@k7no.com
Proud charter member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!