[Yaesu] FT-1000MP Mod

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP Mod
From: Jack Trampler - N2JT" <n2jt@fast.net (Jack Trampler - N2JT)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:29:38 -0400
I just installed the International Radio (INRAD) IF mod for the FT-1000MP
and I am extremely pleased with the results.  The mod is intended to reduce
hiss and noise in the receiver that is noticeable when the DSP is turned
off, while increasing sensitivity.  It consists of a PC board that plugs in
on the AF board and rerouting two small plug in coax cables.  Total
installation time was about 5 minutes.

According to the documentation, the hiss noise is being developed in the IF
stages due to low output from the RF stage and the RF noise can't override
the IF noise.  This mod adds an amplifier between the RF and IF stages.
Once installed it is necessary to reduce the IF Gain one or two settings via
the hidden menu 9-1.

The difference was immediately noticeable.  I was never able to use the 'MP
without the DSP (okay, who would want to, right?) because of the hissing
noise.  Now there is almost no difference with or without the DSP.  The RX
appears to be as sensitive or more than it was, but without test equipment
for a before and after test this is subjective, but the noise is GONE!

INRAD also supplies an audio mod for the main RX.  I have noticed that the
Sub-RX always had louder, fuller audio than the Main RX.  Apparently some
earlier 'MPs came through with several components in the audio chain of a
different value than what is indicated in the schematic.  INRAD tells you
how to determine if your MP is one of them and the mod is done by adding the
supplied capacitor in parallel to another capacitor.  The result is that
both the main and sub receiver's audio is the same.  For the first time
ever, both AF Gain settings are in the same place for balance when in Dual
RX.  The Main RX audio has a "fuller" sound (greater fidelity) now.  This
mod requires soldering and probably took about 20 minutes mostly because I
was being extremely careful.

Check out INRAD at  http://www.qth.com/INRAD     And now the usual
disclaimer: I have no interest in INRAD, monetary or otherwise.  Just a
satisfied customer.

73,
Jack - N2JT

e-mail:  n2jt@fast.net