[Yaesu] Yaesu at Dayton '98 ?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu at Dayton '98 ?
From: n2ff@juno.com (Frank Fallon)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 08:35:59 EDT
I was very impressed with the new FT-100 that I saw a Dayton.  I have
just put an Icom 706 MKII in my mobile.  The FT-100 is actually a bit
smaller, not quite as high as the 706, and does 70 CM in addition to 2
meters.  It's sure nice to have another band.  My current set up has two
radios - the Icom 706 and an Icom 2710 but later in the year it may have
only one - the FT-100.

The most important feature for me is the bright display of the FT-100.
Most of the time I am wearing polarized glasses when I am mobiling.  With
the 706 I have to move my head slightly to line up with the display to
get full brightness.  I donned my sun glasses at the Yaesu booth in
Dayton and had no problem viewing the FT-100 display from any angle.  It
was always brighter than the 706.

The one small negative with the FT-100 is that the microphone plugs into
the body of the rig rather than the detachable front panel.  This may
mean that you will have to run a remote microphone cable to the guts of
the radio if you mount the box in a trunk or under the back seat as I do.
 It's not a major problem but it does mean you will have to purchase an
additional cable and snake it to the remote unit.

Frank Fallon - N2FF -