[Yaesu] FT920 output

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT920 output
From: davidho@one.net (David Ho (de AF4BH))
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:22:35 -0500 (EST)

I have the same experience with my FT-920 as well.  It is very interesting
to see that the rig puts out the expected 100W peak if you send a pure
tone into the mic.  The normal speech peak, even with the mic gain turn
all the way, can only make it to reach 70W to 80W.

I talked with the Yaesu tech support and they insisted that I was too
paranoia about my output.  They said that a cheap coil meter could not
tell what a scope can see.

Well, I didn't want to argue so I waited to see if someone on the net
would eventually tell the world about the mod.  Since I do CW and PACTOR
most of the time, I can live with the SSB low average on my rig for the
time being.

Best 73!

de David Ho, AF4BH
Covington, KY  USA