[Yaesu] Noisy (as in hiss) Speaker output on FT1000mp?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Noisy (as in hiss) Speaker output on FT1000mp?
From: Duncan Clark <Duncan@genesys.demon.co.uk> (Duncan Clark)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 15:33:39 +0000
Hi Folks,

Has anyone noticed how noisy as in hiss the speaker output of the 1000mp
is when one puts a Heil headset across it, even with the volume control
totally turned down. Why do this? Well I use a Timewave 59+ DSP unit and
the headphone socket off the 1000mp is insufficient to drive it (there
is no hiss on the headphone socket, solely the speaker output at the
back) so one has to use the speaker output. I still find the Timewave
better than the internal 1000mp DSP. Anyway with the Timewave off or
bypassed the output goes straight to the Heil headset and on a quiet
band the hiss is very annoying. The Timewave on it's own is also quite
bad in this regard with the TDA2003 output IC again being very noisy
(it's definitely the IC audio amp at fault here). I haven't checked but
I suspect the Heil headset has a very broad bandwidth hence why it is so
noticeable, whereas communications speakers don't show it up so badly. I
prefer to use the headset but it gets tiring/annoying with the hiss.

I'm open to ways to cure this on both counts. Maybe I'll try a
capacitor/resistor low pass filter network just ahead of the Heil or
something similar.

Duncan
G4ELJ
--
A distraction is only a distraction if you pay attention to it.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
http://www.dnamp.com
Tel: +44(0)1252376288