[Yaesu] PSK31/FT-990AC

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] PSK31/FT-990AC
From: WmLB@prefer.net (Bill Brannick)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:16:49 -0800
> No you haven't "missed" anything it really IS as simple as that !!
You
> may still need to attenuate the signal from your sound card by 10dbs
or
> so to ensure you don't overload the radios input.
> Read the instructions and ...DON'T use a processor !
> I use PSK31 on my FT1000 ...but used the "packet" input on the rear
of
> the radio.
> A great mode - cheap(free!):simple:efficient - spells the end to TNC
> driven modes like Amtor/Pactor etc. as far as I am concerned.

Thank you Robin for taking the time to respond. I am now into my third
day with PSK31. You are right. It is a really nice mode and I have not
had my finger on the "ON" button of my Kam since I started Saturday
evening. I had a little trouble with over modulation to start with . I
had the Mic gain at a minimal setting (well below where I would
normally set it for SSB) and found that if I moved the volume controls
much above the peg at all I was already over driving and the ALC was
kicking in.  I did a little research on the minimal docs that came
with my SB and discovered that there was some jumpers in there that I
could change and switch the .75 watt/8 ohm output for the speakers to
a lower level "Line Out" config. My problem was I did not want to
break the seals on my NEW system so I started looking for a way to
attenuate the sig a bit. Was going through the current Radio Shack
catalog and discovered a 40dB attenuator that was intended for a
dubbing application.. Cost me a whole $3.49 , I stuck it in the line
between the SB and the phone patch input on my 990 and .. voila'.. I
was able to put my mic gain back at the same position that I use with
SSB and, although I am still somewhat near the bottom of the volume
controls settings, I now have a clean sig, or that at least is what is
now reported by other ops looking at their "waterfall"

Thanks again Robin.. maybe I will come across you one the bands one of
these days soon.