[Yaesu] [DXR] FT100 & other mic's warning

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] [DXR] FT100 & other mic's warning
From: dx_9m6oo@juno.com (Bob Schenck)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:01:36 EDT
This year at Dayton, after what I thought was some careful comparison
shopping, I purchased a Yaesu FT100 Commander for use as a small portable
DXpedition rig. I then went over to the HEIL booth to pick up an adapter
for my HEIL proset boom mike headset. I was informed by Mr. Heil himself,
that the FT100 will not work with Heil microphones! Including the
proset....  It has to do with the unusual design of the Yaesu hand mike
which actually uses some sort of a digital multiplexed electrical
conversion right inside the microphone which is demultiplexed in the
radio!! Yes, an unconventional microphone circuit! I spent a couple of
hours running between the Yaesu booth, Heil booth and the HRO people
trying to get some straight answers. Finally got the straight scoop from
a "knowledgeable" Yaesu representative. Yes, he acknowledged the problem.
He said that either Yaesu, or Heil, or whoever, will have to design a
conversion box to add to the FT100 so you can use any other "normal"
microphone on this radio (not just Heil).  Currently, ONLY the hand mike
provided with this radio will work with this radio. Period. Pretty sucky
for a company that so strongly promotes DXpedition and Contest activity!
HRO was quite nice to give me a refund on my FT100. (Thank you Robert and
George!!!)
I then purchased the "proven" IC706MKII.
I just wanted to warn anyone out there looking to buy one of these radios
for DXpedition/Contest use. It is a real shame since the specs and early
reviews on this radio have been decent.
A real head shaker, huh?
Please direct technical questions to YAESU. (NOT ME!!!)
Don't let them tell you it is not so... It took me 2 hours to find the
straight scoop. Even Mister Yaesu Chip, K7JA didn't know about it. But,
Rico does. And, Bob Heil does as well.
73!
And.... remember!
Bob Schenck, N2OO