[Yaesu] Re: FT-100 Impressions

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: FT-100 Impressions
From: mmorrow@companet.net (Mike)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:04:36 -0500
For a good discussion of the FT-100, go to

    http://www.ONElist.com

and join as a new member, then join the FT100 discussion list.  The list
name is "FT100" and the posting address is FT100@onelist.com.  You can
read several months worth of discussion in the archives.

To join ONELIST, which maintains thousands of list groups, you'll have
to answer a short questionaire.  I've not received any unwanted e-mail
as a result, so have no fear there.

The jist of the discussions so far seem to be that the unit is an
excellent performer IF it survives infant mortality.  It seems that
Yaesu is making progress in curing the early reliability problems.

There have been many comments by those who have used both the
IC706-series and the FT-100.  The general opinions state that the FT-100
DSP is vastly superior to the IC706, especially for noise elimination.
The users who have returned to the IC706 after trying the FT-100 seem to
have done so not from FT100 performance problems, but from reliability
problems.

I've read enough, and looked at the extended product review available at
the "members-only" site on http://www.arrl.org to be convinced that I
want an FT-100...I just think I'll wait a little longer for the bugs to
get out.  I'll continue for the time being to use my extremely reliable,
never-failed, Kenwood TS-50S (which model itself had a number of
problems in the early days).

Regards,
                  Mike / KK5F