[Yaesu] FT-920 internal tuner

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 internal tuner
From: john-k1rc@juno.com (john-k1rc@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:43:11 -0500
Hi all,

I just bought an FT-920 transceiver.. This is a slick
"little" radio.

The only thing I'm not impressed with is the internal
antenna tuner... Its to the point that I dont even use
it any more...  I have a Murch UT-2000B tuner which I
use with the 920. Its manual, its slow, but it matches
any antenna I have... (just like my old FT-990)

The 920 tuner has trouble matching my dummy load
and a resonant vertical... It wont even attempt to
match the phased verticals or my Zepp at 70 ft....

I've tried various combinations of menus U-71,72
without much luck. Get mostly a momentary attempt
at a match and then the  "High SWR" indicator.

I just sold my FT-990 and already miss the tuner in
that radio. Wish I could trade tuners..

Is anyone else out there having the same problem
with the 920 tuner?
Any ideas, mods or fixes to improve the tuner?
Could there be a possible problem with the tuner?
Is there a Service Bulletin floating around to correct
this problem?

Also, while on the subject:
The SWR bridge in (my) 920 reads low by .5 units
(as compared to 2 different external bridges (and a
Bird 43 wattmeter).
Example  920 SWR reads 1.2:1, external bridges
read 1.7-1.8:1. 920 reads 2:1, the external bridges
read 2.5-2.6:1.
At other times, the opposite happens, the external
bridges read lower SWR than the 920 internal...
I've also been looking at the antennas with my
MFJ-259B.

The external units I tested with are:
WELZ SP-620  (similar to the Yaesu YS-60)
Diamond SX-200
Bird 43 wattmeter (borrowed from a friend)

Any Ideas, suggestions, tricks, magic sayings. etc?

All info and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks and 73,

     John K1RC
     Dracut, Ma.
30 mi NW of Boston.