[Yaesu] FT-1000 D DE K0FF

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000 D DE K0FF
From: K0FF@ARRL.NET (K0FF)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 08:27:01 -0600
I agree that the meter movement may be open. The safest way to check it is
with a VOM type test meter, and a high value series resistor. Unhook the
wires that go to the circuitry first. Then put a large values resistor (50K)
in series with the test lead and set the test meter to Rx10K. This will
limit the current through the meter under test and prevent inadvertent
damage due to overswing. When testing a sensitive meter at a hamfest, I use
an AA battery, and use my finger wetted with saliva for the resistor. You
can vary the resistance by using more or less finger. Watch the meter under
test for deflection. Also if you have the meter out of the unit, and in your
hand, you can rock it back and forth and watch the needle swing from
momentum. Next short the meter leads together with a scrape of bare wire or
solder. Then rock it back and forth again, and the needle WON't have near so
much swing. This is because when the needle begins to move, it creates a
voltage because it is a moving coil in a magnetic field. With the terminals
shorted, that voltage produces a torque opposite the motion of the needle,
and cancels out that motion. Also gently turn he meter on its side and then
upside down, looking at the face. If the meter is perfectly balanced, the
needle stays on zero.

Back to the FT1000D, The next thing to check, or just replace it, if the
meter winds up being good, is Q2042 on the IF board. This is a 4066 chip,
and it contains four FET switches, and these are directly responsible for
switching the various functions to the meter movement. This chip is common
and cheap. Some event must have precipitated a failure. One would expect a
good quality mechanical meter like this one to last a lifetime. If the chip
is bad, why did it go out? and secondly if something made that particular
chip go out, suspect others in the same area to have been affected too. Good
luck,