[Yaesu] FT-5100 bulb replacement

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-5100 bulb replacement
From: jrerlewe@mtu.edu (Joseph R. Erlewein)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 07:16:12 -0400 (EDT)

I heard from someone who talked to a Yaesu rep that 70% of the 5100's
that come in for repair are for fixing the solder mess made by people
trying to replace their bulbs on their own. The bulb leads are 1/4th
the diameter of a human hair, and myself being an experienced EET,
I've turned off the auto-dimmer and cranked the brightness up so my
bulbs burn out faster -- I'd rather send in the radio for bulbs than
try it myself, and it has other problems like the 440 being 5khz off
and the right hand side S-meter showing full for no reason sometimes.

I would have sent the rig in for those problems alone and a tune-up
but the radio is still very usable, and I'd hate to get it back and
have the lamps die a week later, so I'll just wait till they blow and
send it in and do it all at once.

have the right equipment and have done hundreds of them, and like I
said, even though I feel competend and able to do it myself, Heck, for
the money and risk factor, I'd rather have a tech do it. If they screw
up, you don't get shafted. :)

Joe

On Sun, 14 May 2000 JNATALE@ebmail.gdeb.com wrote:

> The left half of my display went dark over the weekend. Anyone have
> experience replacing the display backlight bulbs on this radio?  Is there a
> generic replacement bulb available or do I have to order from Yaesu parts?
> Is it brain surgery or pretty straightforward?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe K1JN
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html