[Yaesu] Yaesu FT-920 Auto-tuner: Fixed!

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT-920 Auto-tuner: Fixed!
From: hfshack@hotmail.com (Geos Major)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 07:06:59 EDT
Tony,

I wouldn't be in such a rush to blame Yaesu for the need to reset. I had
trouble a while back with another manufacturer's tuner. As it turned out the
tuner trouble was only a symptom and not the disease. After a lot of hair
pulling I eventually found a defect in the feedline that caused extreme, but
short lived variations in apparent VSWR every time there was a moderate gust
of wind. The poor tuner final gave up. According to the manufacture that
behavior was by design. It prevents the race conditions from prematurely
wearing the relays, steppers, etc. thus saving the tuner and your pocket
book from an early demise. Maybe Dr. Yaseu had something similar in mind? If
you need to 'reboot' again, please consider the system as a whole and look
elsewhere for the real culprit.

73