[Yaesu] FT920 UPGRADE

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT920 UPGRADE
From: vk6apk@eon.net.au (Alek Petkovic)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:44:46 +0800
--=====================_1326072==_.ALT

Ken,
If you can whistle it up to 100W, then when you speak you will also be
putting out 100Watts.

Get a peak reading power meter and use that in line. It sounds like you
have an average reading meter and are expecting to see 100Watts indicated
while you are talking.

If my Autek WM 1 meter is on peak, I read 100W while I am speaking. When I
switch it to read average power and I continue speaking, it reads around 20
Watts. The radio is still putting out 100 Watts.

If you are seeing 60 Watts on speech with an average reading meter, I hate
to think how badly you are overdriving that radio.

73, Alek.
VK6APK

At 10:24 AM 21-10-01 +0100, ken.hunt1 wrote:
>I never seem to be able to drive my ft920 to 100watts.
>If I turn off the atu I can squeeze an extra 15watts or so peaking at
>about 60watts.
>  FM CW or whistling into the mic produces 100w but nowhere near that on
> ssb speech.
>  Using dsp settings make the output lower.
>Would upgrading to the refurbished ft100mp (mk1)be a good idea or is it
>difficult to get full ssb output
>on all yaesu rigs?
>Is the ft100mp (not mkv) a much better hf rig than the ft920?
>Thanks
>Ken

--=====================_1326072==_.ALT

Ken,<br>
If you can whistle it up to 100W, then when you speak you will also be
putting out 100Watts.<br><br>
Get a peak reading power meter and use that in line. It sounds like you
have an average reading meter and are expecting to see 100Watts indicated
while you are talking.<br><br>
If my Autek WM 1 meter is on peak, I read 100W while I am speaking. When
I switch it to read average power and I continue speaking, it reads
around 20 Watts. The radio is still putting out 100 Watts.<br><br>
If you are seeing 60 Watts on speech with an average reading meter, I
hate to think how badly you are overdriving that radio.<br><br>
73, Alek.<br>
VK6APK<br><br>
At 10:24 AM 21-10-01 +0100, ken.hunt1 wrote:<br>
seem to be able to drive my ft920 to 100watts.</font><br>
15watts or so peaking at about 60watts.</font><br>
100w but nowhere near that on ssb speech.</font><br>
lower.</font><br>
(mk1)be a good idea or is it difficult to get full ssb
output</font><br>
than the ft920?</font><br>
&nbsp;</blockquote><br>