[Yaesu] Neutralizing mod for FT-101

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Neutralizing mod for FT-101
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (wsanders@wsanders.net)
Date: 30 Oct 2001 10:06:54 -0800
I just bought some new old stock GE 6JS6Cs for my FT-101 and I'm looking at the
"neutralization mod". Has anybody done this?

It doesn't really seem necessary since changing the 100 pf fixed or a 10 pf
fixed wouldn't really change the total series capacitance all that much, it
would be variable from something to 5 pf instead of somehting to 9.1 pf, unless
there are some special properties os the layout of the caps, or unless a 10 pf
cap would have different DC-blocking characteristics.

I actually think the finals currently in the radio might not be bad. My dad
passed the radio down to me in his will. At first I thought he fried the tubes
CB-ing. But this weekend was the first chance I had to put the radio through
its paces (CQWW) and by Sunday it was delivering 100w on 15m into a dummy load.
I think there is a characteristic of tubes that they need to be burned in -
maybe he just didn't use the radio at all.

-Wiley KF6IIU