[Yaesu] Problem with FT-736R going dead when PTT pushed

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Problem with FT-736R going dead when PTT pushed
From: w2rds@arrl.net (Rick Stoneking)
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:07:21 -0500
All,

I have recently acquired a FT-736 and it has a peculiar
problem.  Occasionally when I push the PTT on the microphone (Heil Mic - do
not get the original mic with the rig) the display on the 736 shuts off and
the rig is essentially dead.  None of the controls seem to have any effect,
no 'beeps' are generated when the buttons are pressed, etc.  I have to turn
the radio off and then back on.  The radio has operated for relatively long
periods of time without a problem, and in some cases it even seems
frequency/memory dependant.  I have my local 2m repeater programmed in to
memory 1 (145.29 -) and another repeater programmed in to memory 2 (146.625
-) and at one point every time I  pressed the PTT when memory 1 was
selected it happened, but if I went to memory 2 there was no problem, but
as soon as I went back to memory 1 it did it again.  I have also had it
happen using 440 FM in VFO mode (not using a memory channel).

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced anything like this?  I have read on
the Kenwood reflector of a problem experienced with some of those where the
display would act up or disappear, and that was due to a poor contact in
the display cabling - so I plan to check/clean all of the cable connectors.

Please reply via e-mail to w2rds@arrl.net as I am not subscribed to this
reflector.

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Rick