[Yaesu] DIODE MOD FOR FT990/890

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] DIODE MOD FOR FT990/890
From: msauve@alientech.net (msauve@alientech.net)
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 06:30:18 -0500
At 10:46 PM 12/25/2001 -0600, Jim Clark wrote...
>I have heard the same for the 890. Also a mod for converting the auto
>tuner to tune TX AND RX.
>Please post here if you have any info!
>Tnx
>Jim, N5QL

I have an FT-890, and simply replaced all of the 1SS184 rectifiers (diodes are
tubes, aren't they :-) ) before the preamp with Motorola MPN3404 PIN diodes.
There are quite a few in the bandpass filter. I also replaced D2001 and D2002
with MI308 (higher voltage) ones while I was at it, per a Yaesu Tech Bulletin.
www.rfparts.com has both of these types.

I also replaced the 1ss184 (surface mount dual) types up through the roofing
filter, with low capacitance PIN types. Can't remember where I found these
replacements.

It seems to have made a bit of difference by ear. I don't have the equipment to
measure the difference.

Mike - W8UR