[Yaesu] Re: new member with a ft-101

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: new member with a ft-101
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (wsanders@wsanders.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:08:06 -0800
As of 5 years ago Yaesu actually stocked replacement parts
for the FT-101. I bought a DC power cord for about $35. So it
is worth calling Yaesu directly if you want to get original
parts.

Did the rig come with an operating manual? I can send you
schematics for the radio. Let me know via email and I will
send that - I could copy the whole manual for whatever it
would cost to copy and mail - probably $6 or 7 or so -
although I don't want to get into the old manual business :-)

As a matter of fact - I might take this opportunity to ask
the group if htey know of any alternative neutralization
schemes other than the one mentioned in the manual. I've
installed New Old Stock 6JS6Cs without doing the capacitor
mod. I asked around on the lists when I first got the tubes
and nobody responded about the theory behin the mod - if you
run through the calculations the widely
distributed "neutralization mod" actually doesn't change the
capacitance - it just makes the adjustment less "twitchy" and
adjsts the 2 caps in series in such a way that if the air
varible shorts out the capacitance falls back to a more
reasonable value.

Following the procedure in the manual, I can get about 60W
out of mine with the NOS tubes. For some reason, lately, my
plate current has jumped up 50ma. limiting the amount of
power I can run without roasting the tubes - and I am
wondering if this is due to some kind of misalignent in the
final stage or whether some other kind of component failure
is responsible (like maybe the IC shunt circuit itself is
flaky.)

A couple of other gotchas I was wondering about - I think my
FT-101 is in pretty good shape but still needs some
alignment:

- Most of the inductors in my FT-101 are frozen. The coils
are full of congealed paraffin. Is there a way to unstick
them?

- The trimmer caps for 80m are inaccessible, under the lip of
the wraparound side panel. Do I have to take the case off to
get to these caps or is there a special trick?

- The fox-tango list on qth.net seems to be completely
inactive - I get messages from time to time saying I'm
subscribed, but I never see any traffic.

Thanks,
-Wiley KF6IIU