[Yaesu] Re: Wiley KF6IIU

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: Wiley KF6IIU
From: R_Davis" <WD8JJA@arrl.net (R_Davis)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:02:50 -0500
From: <wsanders@wsanders.net>
To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:08:06 -0800
To: yaesu@contesting.com, jlc@myrealbox.com
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: new member with a ft-101

A couple of other gotchas I was wondering about - I think my
FT-101 is in pretty good shape but still needs some
alignment:

- Most of the inductors in my FT-101 are frozen. The coils
are full of congealed paraffin. Is there a way to unstick
them?

>Esa w5/oh7wv suggested using a hair dryer.
>That is what I do.  I use a small funnel which directs the air flow right
>into the hole.
>Use just enough heat to soften the wax. Overheating can damage the coils.

- The trimmer caps for 80m are inaccessible, under the lip of
the wraparound side panel. Do I have to take the case off to
get to these caps or is there a special trick?

>If you are doing a complete alignment, it is easier with the case removed.
>I have on at least one occasion, just set
>the rig on its side and removed the screws holding the case
>on the right side so I could pull the case away far enough
>to get to the trimmer you are talking about.

- The fox-tango list on qth.net seems to be completely
inactive - I get messages from time to time saying I'm
subscribed, but I never see any traffic.

>Same here.  I suppose these FT-101 discussions
>should be carried on the FoxTango reflector to get it going.

Best 73's
Rick, WD8JJA.