[Yaesu] Re: FT-101 tube replacement

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: FT-101 tube replacement
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (W Sanders)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:11:03 -0700
There was a discussion of this on Fox_tango few weeks ago - you may be able to
search the archives somewhere. I think there may be some something about the
GE 6JS6Cs that make them not as good as the Japanese tubes. I installed some,
ran mostly PSK31 for a few weeks being very careful not to exceed 150 ma plate
current, and the tubes were down from 35W to 5W in three weeks. I reinstalled
the old green band finals and I'm back to running 80W - SSB only.

I reneutralized but as was discussed a few weeks ago in the Fox-Tango list, I
did not do the mod. I was able to successfuly readjust neutralization. The
conclusion of the discussion was that the mod was necessary, but more as a
safety measure in case the air variable cap arced or shorted.

My assessment is that the GE tubes might work OK for light-duty SSB or CW, but
are more likely to fry if used in high-duty cycle applications. They're cheap
enough - I bought 5 on EBay for $95.

I can't speak for the FT-101B but the FT-101E and EE are identical models with
the exception of the speech processor.

The Fox_tango list is administered (and I presume archived) at www.qth.net:

        http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/fox_tango
        fox_tango-request@mailman.qth.net