[Yaesu] YAESU FT707 - RESTORATION

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] YAESU FT707 - RESTORATION
From: esa.p.korhonen@nokia.com (esa.p.korhonen@nokia.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:58:55 -0500
Hello,

a few thoughts 2 cents worth....

- scratches on the plastic: I would replace it. Small piece of lexan or similar
material wouldn't cost a lot in a local hardware store, and is easy to cut in
the correct shape. There is really no way to remove scratches on a plastic
part. (If someone knows a way, please tell me as well...)

- clean knobs / switches etc.: The wipes meant to use keyboards work great.
Here in the states they also sell wipes to clean car dashboards and other
interior plastic parts and they do the job as well. Don't know if they are
available in the UK. You should find the keyboard wipes, though.

- paint: if I would have to repaint it, I would take the cover(s) to a local
paint shop and let them find / mix the matching color and do the paint job. It
would cost maybe 5-10 times the price of a spray paint can, but to me it
definately would be worth it. I've done it a few times and the appearance what
you get for the rig is great compared to spray paint. For example, I once had a
home built linear amplifier enclosure painted by a pro and it cost me FIM 200
which is like $30 or about 20 pounds.

- microphone: one of my radios is an FT-107M and I've used a Heil HC-5 with it.
Works great, with the processor on or off. Of course an external processor
would give your signal a nice punch.

- can't help with the tuning knob friction issue.

Good luck!

        Esa w5/oh7wv